1920: The Farmer’s Grain & Coal Elevator at harvest time
Center photo is the Akron Elementary School in 1919. Inset on the left shows the Washington County High School built in Akron in 1911. In 1916, the old high school was razed and replaced by the edifice pictured on the right.
Nearing the end of a day’s work on a horse-drawn International binder in 1918.
Responding to President Woodrow Wilson’s call, these soldiers from Washington County leave Akron in 1917 and are off to fight in the trenches of Europe.
The Citizens National Bank is the one-story building with the single awning in the center of this 1956 photo. Citizens National first opened on September 8, 1916. The inset photo shows the bank as it stands today.
Harvesting the grain on the Ruel Ranch on July 5, 1915, the day after the Fourth of July holiday.
C. N. Yeamans Hardware Store circa 1910. Left to right: John Duncan, Lou Wilcox, Glen Yeamans, Gladys Duncan, Frank Abbott, C. N. Yeamans.
Yeamans Brothers Hardware Implements & Furniture, Akron’s oldest building, 1886-1889. John Edward Yeamans, standing, is Elma Dansdills’s father. Charles Nathan Yeamans is seated to his left.
The first Burlington train pulled into Akron in 1882. Inset: The Akron train depot circa 1900. On the left, the coal chute is visible and, on the right, the Burlington Hotel.